Welcome To My Journey

I have created this blog to record the things I learn as I progress in my studies of the Windows Operating System. My focus will primarily be the latest Operating System offerings by Microsoft, but much of the content below may also apply to earlier versions. I invite you to join me as I explore and learn about Microsoft Windows!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Windows 2008 Server Core–Initial Configuration

In this video, I show the basic steps necessary to set up a Windows Server Core machine so that it can communicate on the network and join an Active Directory domain.

In this video, I show how to use NETSH and NETDOM to configure TCP/IP settings, rename the computer and join an existing domain.

Tools used in this video:

  1. NETSH – This is a multi-purpose command-line tool that is useful for performing many different tasks within a Windows Server environment.  In the present video, I show how to use this tool to configure TCP/IP and DNS settings on a selected network interface.
  2. NETDOM – This tool allows the administrator to work with Active Directory domains as well as trust relationships from the command line.

Reference Material Used in Creating this Blog: