Welcome To My Journey

I have created this blog to record the things I learn as I progress in my studies of the Windows Operating System. My focus will primarily be the latest Operating System offerings by Microsoft, but much of the content below may also apply to earlier versions. I invite you to join me as I explore and learn about Microsoft Windows!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Configuring Windows Deployment Services

In this video, I explain how to set up and configure Windows Deployment Services (WDS) to offer default Windows 2008 images to client machines that need an operating system installed.

Windows Deployment Services has some fairly strict requirements in order to work, including:

  • an Active Directory Domain Services environment
  • a DHCP server on the same subnet as the client (or at least in communication with a DHCP Proxy on the same subnet as the client)
  • a storage volume for the image files that is configured with NFTS
  • a client network card (NIC) that is supports the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE)

The first video below shows how to set up WDS on your Windows 2008 R2 Server, and how to configure WDS.  It also shows how to install the default boot.wim and install.wim files from your Windows Server media.

In the second part, I look at how to configure Active Directory to pre-stage a client object.  I then show how a client machine uses WDS to select and install an operating system.

For further reading on this topic, check out the TechNet articles linked below: